Thursday, September 29, 2011

We Arrived. . .

Friday, my sister and I got to meet my moms Oncologist (my mom has known her for awhile, she does her iron transfusions). The Cancer Center is located in town, at the back of the hospital. The way back. Like you need a map and a compus to guide you. I am sure they do that for the privacy of those being treated for cancer, but it almost had a feeling of banishment. I thought I might see a sign that read, "You have hereby been banished to the farthest reaches of the hospital, where your bald head and pale complexion will not offend and/or scare the other patients! Please do not attempt to walk, drive or park in the main parking area of this facility. . .we mean it. . .don't do it. . . OR ELSE!" lol. Of course, I know, we were not being "banished,"all of the nurses, staff and doctors who work there are very nice and welcoming. After meeting Dr. O'Brien, we are confident that she will do everything in her ability to help my mom.

The Results. . .

If you have ever been in an exam room (who hasn't?) you notice they aren't all that roomy. So, the first obstacle we had was fitting me, my mom, and two babies in strollers in the already cramped space. Not to mention we needed to be nice and make a spot for the doctor too. After all of that was settled, the doc came in and told us some very relieving news. The spots on my mothers lungs are not cancerous! They are most likely scar tissue from a previous bought of pneumonia. Que the screams, hoops, and hollers of joy that radiated throughout the doctors office from me, my mom and my sister. However, it was a little bit worrisome that we have still not been given a definite answer about what stage or the severity of moms cancer. We do know these things, mom has Adenocarcinoma of the stomach, oh wait that is all we really know. So, on Tuesday, October 4th, she will be having a specialized test called an Endoscopy Ultrasound. This, my friends, should be the last test we will need to determine, the stage, severity, prognosis and exact treatment that she will need. So, keep on praying for good news. We want to hear that the tumor is small (or has miraculously disappeared, God can do that you know) and her lymphnodes are not affected.

Other News:

Mom has official been moved into Wendys house. She is enjoying her new room, that Wendy painted and decorated especially for her, and it certainly makes it more convenient for visits with the grandkids, because everyone is together. And it will also be easier on everyone during treatment and recovery.

Just a reminder that encourging comments on this blog are always welcome!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Dr. O'Brien is amazing, and she will be very forthcoming with answers when she knows them. I know how hard it is to wait for staging and the actual "what are we going to do to get rid of this" questions that flood your brain every moment of the day. Prayers to you and your family.